Effective: April 7, 2017
Information Collected on the Site
The Site does not require its visitors to directly provide information to OpenAP. The Site does, however, collect routine information from all visitors, including hardware or device model, IP address, unique device identifiers, operating system version, and settings of the device you use to access the Site. The Site also may collect information on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior and analyze that data directly and through service providers such as Google Analytics. In addition, when you access and interact with the Site, we and our service providers may collect certain information about those visits as described in this policy. The Site also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the Site in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
- Cookies. Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer when you visit a website. Cookies may be used to store a unique identification number tied to your computer or device so that you can be recognized as the same user across one or more browsing sessions and across one or more sites. Most browsers accept cookies automatically but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is being sent. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. If you disable cookies, it may interfere with the proper functioning of the Site.
- Beacons. We, along with third parties, also may use technologies called beacons (or “pixels”) that communicate information from your device to a server. Beacons can be embedded in online content, videos, and emails, and can allow a server to read certain types of information from your device, know when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message, determine the time and date on which you viewed the beacon, and the IP address or unique identifier of your device.
How We Use Information Collected on the Site
- To Provide and Manage the Products and Services You Request. This includes, for example, enabling you to participate in features provided by the Site and to maintain and administer the Site.
- To Contact You. If you send us an email via our “Contact Us” link (firstname.lastname@example.org) we will use your email address in order to respond to you. We may also contact you with offers and information about OpenAP and related products and services. You may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by following the instructions contained in those email messages.
- To Deliver Targeted Advertising, Promotions, and Offers. We and our third-party service providers may use the information we collect on the Site and through the use of technologies such as beacons to facilitate the delivery of targeted ads, promotions, and offers to you, on and off the Site (including on social media platforms). You may choose whether to receive some forms of targeted advertising from many ad networks, audience segment providers, ad serving vendors, and other service providers by visiting websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance. Please visit our Ad Choices page for further information.
- To Better Understand Our Users and to Improve Our Services. In the course of providing content you request on the Site, we or our service providers may collect information on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior and analyze that data to better understand and serve our users, and to improve our products and services.
- To Protect the Rights of the Services and Others. We may use your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of OpenAP, its Members, employees or agents, or other users, and to comply with applicable law and legal requests.
- Otherwise With Your Consent. We may otherwise use your information with your consent or at your direction.
How We Share Information Collected on the Site
- Members and Affiliates. We may share information with our Founding Members, other Members, and their subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Service Providers. We may share information with vendors providing services on our behalf, such as companies that host the content of the Site, advertising service providers, data analytics companies, marketing service companies, and list managers. We are not responsible for the privacy practices employed by these third-party service providers.
- Business Partners. We may share your information with business partners to provide you with services that you request. OpenAP is not responsible for the privacy practices of these entities.
- Others When Required or Permitted by Law, or As Necessary to Protect Our Users and Services. We may use and share your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of OpenAP, our Members, employees or users; to detect, suppress or prevent fraud; or where otherwise required or permitted by law or legal process, including responding to requests from public authorities.
- Other Parties in Connection With a Corporate Transaction. We may transfer information collected on the Site in the event that OpenAP or the Founding Members sell or transfer all or a portion of our or their business or assets to a third party in connection with a corporate transaction or bankruptcy.
- Aggregated Data. We also may provide aggregated and anonymized information to third parties to describe how visitors are using the Site.
We have in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect the information the Site collects. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Other Important Information
International Users. The Site is hosted in and managed from the United States. United States data protection and other relevant laws may not be the same as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States, you consent to having any information processed in the United States.
Linked Services. The Site may link to sites operated by non-Members and unaffiliated companies and may carry advertisements or offer content, functionality, and applications developed and maintained by unaffiliated companies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of non-Members and unaffiliated companies to which the Site may link or provide access.
Children’s Privacy. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Your California Privacy Rights. California residents are entitled once a year, free of charge, to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, the Site currently does not take action in response to these signals.